Friday, January 7, 2011

Vintage January Postcards

has a wonderful collection of vintage postcards. She has collected vintage cards, fairytale books, postcards, old photos and art pieces for a very long time. Visit her for the history of the celebration of the new year which is the oldest of all holidays.

This is my favorite Jan. postcard. It's postmarked Dec 30th 1912. The embossing makes it very unique.

I am unable to read the year on this card but it is within a year or two othe the other, 1910-1913. Below shows the backside to get a glimse of the special designs in the left upper corners. The Jan 1 card has the flower design and reads "The Pink of Perfection The Fairman Co. Cinti & NY Series No, 1314. This is the first one in my collection where I noticed a series number but I still have several that I haven't looked at carefully yet.



Homemade Coasters




These are 4x4 smooth tiles, metallic gold paper and found vintage pictures. I tore and inked the edges and attached each layer with ModPodge. While it was still wet, I sprinkled fine glitter. I have been experiencing with the layers of protection. Several layers of the ModPodge will protect but I don't like the visual lines that are left when dried.

So I started finishing the layers with "Triple Thick" or FolkArt Thick glaze" by Plaid, several layers. For perfection and the best protection, I would use good ol' Epoxy, I use EnviroTex Pour On for all my Epoxy projects. Don't forget to add bubble or felt dots to the backside!

10 comments:

MrCachet said...

What a neat idea for recycling vintage postcards!

Coffeedoff said...

I love the Jan 1st card and the coasters

Funoldhag said...

Very, very pretty! Carol

Terry said...

Howdy Lisa
Happy PFF to you :)
Wow you have so many fabulous things to see and do on your delightful blog I almost forgot to comment !
Thank you so very much for sharing so many beautiful treasures today .
I have been in need of some creative inspiration and now thanks to your generosity I found some .
Have a blessed weekend.
Until Next Time
Happy Trails

Joy said...

Snow on a sundial is an evocative image. What a great idea for your coasters.

Snap said...

Well done! Love the recycling. Happy PFF!

viridian said...

I like the first card especially. thanks for sharing and joining in on PFF.

Postcardy said...

I think it would be interesting to collect "Jan. 1" New Years cards.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

Your favourite January card is mine too. I love the snowy look of the lettering.

Vanessa said...

Hi, Lisa

You are so right, these are beautiful! Thanks for sharing

Vanessa